Tourism in DhubriDhubri is a small town of westernmost Assam located on the banks of the Brahmaputra. The town has many religious places across and is also famous for the Mahamaya Dham located here. There is the Mahamaya Dham of Goddess Mahamaya where annual Yagnas performed here draw in thousands of devotees from across Assam. There are also many naturally beautiful tourist places in Dhubri.
There are national parks like the Chakrasila Hill Reserve Forest which is a home to different types of plant life along with animals like the Golden Langur, leopard, and flying squirrel.
There is also the Gurudwara Sri Guru Teg Bahadur Sahibji which was built by the ninth Sikh Guru Tegbahadurji on his way to Assam. The Rangamati Mosque or Panbari Mosque located few kms away from Dhubri was built during the 17th century. There is the Panchpeer Dargah which is the Mazar Sharif of five Sufi Saints who accompanied Raja Ram Singh in 17 AD during his journey for invasion of Assam.
Dhubri has also glimpses of Sankadeva Vaishnavite preaching and is home to the Ramraikuti Satra which is located in the Indo-Bangladesh and West Bengal border of Dhubri. The great Assamese reformer and philosopher, Mahapurush Srimanta Sankardeva built this Satra to promote Satriya culture among the people of this region.
Let us take a tour around the religious places in Dhubri and know its origin and history.
Gurudwara Sri Guru Teg Bahadur SahibjiGurudwara Sri Guru Teg Bahadur Sahibji is a famous Gurudwara located in the heart of Dhubri town in Assam. The Gurudwara is located on the banks of the mighty river Brahmaputra and was built in the memory of the visit of Guru Nanak to the place. This proves the importance and significance of the Gurudwara.
The first Sikh Guru, Guru Nanak Dev, visited this place in 1505 AD and met Srimanta Sankardeva on his way when he travelled from Dhaka to Assam. Later, the 9th Guru, Guru Teg Bahadur came to this place and established this Gurudwara during the 17th century. The Gurudwara experiences the arrival of a large number of devotees who come from different parts of the world. On December 3 every year, many devotees gather and come here to mark the martyrdom of guru Teg Bahadur. The Sikhs call this festival as Saidee-Guru-Parav.
History of Gurudwara Sri Guru Teg Bahadur SahibjiThe place was visited by the first Guru of the Sikhs, Guru Nanak Dev in 1505. He came here during the reign of Ahom king Suhungmung. He came in his travels throughout the world to spread the message of oneness of God. Later again in February 1669, the ninth Guru, Guru Teg Bahadur visited this place with Raja Ram Singh of Jaipur.
During the reign of Mughal emperor Aurangzeb, there was a constant battle between the Mughals and the Ahoms. The Mughals initially captured much of the areas of Assam. However, in 1667, the Ahoms recovered the areas including Guwahati, Kamakhya holy shrine and other adjoining areas. Aurangzeb seeing this, summoned Raja Ram Singh, a Rajput general to fight with the Ahoms and capture these places of Assam.
The Ahoms were far much equipped and capable of fighting. They also had supernatural powers. Knowing this, Raja Ram Singh parents who were the followers of Guru Teg Bahadur, advised him to seek protection of the Holy feet and to ask Him to accompany him in his expedition. Guru Teg Bahadur accepted his request and accompanied him.
On the arrival to Kamrup, Guru Teg Bahadur camped in Dhubri while Raja Ram Singh and his army camped at Rangamati fort. The Assamese women magicians with their tantrik power began reciting mantras of destruction in their camps towards guru Teg Bahadur. But their magical powers failed to have their effect on him. They then hurled a 26 foot long stone, which came hurling in the air and struck the ground near guru Teg Bahadur. The stone fell with such an impact that half of its length got embedded in the ground. The stone still can be seen in the same position.
When the stone failed to work, they flung a tree to Guru which fell near the place where Guru was sitting. Then Guru Teg Bahadur took out his bow and arrow and aimed at the altar of magic. All the magic and sorcery came to an end. The magicians and women realized their mistake and came to Guru Teg Bahadur and seek his forgiveness. Guru Teg Bahadur then assured the magicians that he would work to bring peace between Raja Ram Singh and the Ahom king. He asked both the rulers to achieve their terms end through peaceful negotiations rather than through fighting.
The grateful Ahom king then invited Guruji to the Kamakhya temple, where he was honored with great respect. The happy occasion was mark by erecting a mound of peace of Dhubri with red earth carried by the soldiers of armies on their shields.
Structure of Gurudwara Sri Guru Teg Bahadur SahibjiThe Gurudwara is located in the bust streets of the Dhubri town. It stands on a high platform on the banks of the Brahmaputra. The white structure of Gurudwara provides a beautiful look to it with the simple architecture. The entrance is adorned with a gateway followed by a number of stairs painted red in color. They lead to the open courtyard where from one can enter the sanctum of Darbar Sahib.
In a corner of the courtyard, there is a gallery overlooking the sanctum where Granth Sahib, the holy book of the Sikhs is enshrined. The terrace is dome shaped with elongated drum where a hand written Guru Granth Sahib is placed. There is also an octagonal domed structure towards the left side. The whole structure of the Gurudwara looks like a while building where the lower part is made of white marble and the upper part covered with white plaster.
There are a number of arched windows which otherwise break the similar architecture. There are a number of miniature domes and kiosk on the terrace and besides the building is a kitchen or community hall where food is prepared and served for the whole day. The mound of peace erected is till there standing on the banks of the Brahmaputra River. A Gurudwara was also built near the spot where guru Teg Bahadur stayed and negotiated peace. There are two Gurudwaras located here. One is the Gurudwara Thara Sahib or Damdama Sahib which was built in 1966in a small octagonal hut with sloping roofs.
The other one is the Gurudwara Sri Guru Teg Bahadur Sahib which was built in a square hall with wooden walls and sloping roof. The stone which was flung to Guru Teg Bahadur still lies in that position outside the Gurudwara. It is now protected by a low height wall with iron railing on all sides. The Gurudwara is currently a major pilgrimage center for the Sikhs and people from all across India and the world come to this shrine. The shrine stands as a symbol of peace and harmony.
How to reach Gurudwara Sri Guru Teg Bahadur SahibjiBy Bus:
One can travel by bus and other vehicles from Guwahati and other adjoining places.
The nearest railway station is at Dhubri.
Mahamaya DhamMahamaya Dham is located about 30 kms east of Dhubri town and 10 kms west of Bilasipara town in Bogribari. It is considered as one of the greatest Shakti Peethas for Hindu pilgrims. It is a famous Goddess temple next to Kamakhya temple in terms of tourists visit. Every year, thousands of devotees throng the temple to offer their devotion and have a look into the serene temple premises which are exquisitely built. It is located on a beautiful hillock adorned by trees and greenery.
Origin of Mahamaya DhamIt is believed that the famous Goddess Mahamaya was traditionally worshiped by the local people of Parvatjowar like Kacharies, Kochas and Naths. Mahamaya was also the presiding deity of the Zamindar of Parvatjowar. Later, the Goddess received widespread acceptance and popularity. All Hindus of western Assam worship Goddess Mahamaya.
It is believed that after the former temple got destroyed due to natural calamities, the Goddess one day came into the dreams of a person and told him to construct the temple and worship her. The person then developed this temple and made further developments in it.
Worship in Mahamaya DhamEvery day, the priests perform the regular worship for the deity along with other rituals for the day. The temple has a 400 year old tradition of animal sacrifice especially at the time of Durga Puja. Generally hundreds of animals and birds like buffaloes, goats, pigeons and ducks are sacrificed. Every year during the month of January-February, a Shakti Yagna is performed where thousands of devotees from all over the state and neighboring places come to take part in the Yagna.
Structure of Mahamaya DhamThe temple is adorned with idols of different deities like the tallest idol of Goddess Kali, a tall idol of Hanuman and many other structures of the temple are built with time. Another place of worship significant to Goddess Mahamaya is the Mahamaya Snanghat temple located few kms away from the main Mahamaya temple. It is believed that in ancient times, this is the place where the Goddess Mahamaya used to take bath. From that time, this place came to be known as Mahamaya Snanghat.
Rangamati MosqueThe Rangamati Mosque is located on NH 31 near Panbari and Rangamati. It is located about 25 kms east of Dhubri town and is considered as one of the oldest mosque of Assam. The architecture states that the mosque belonged to the pre-Mughal period. The mosque is an excellence example of architecture finesse and achievement of the Mughal Empire during the 15ht-16th century. The mosque was built by an able administrator Hussain Shah in between 1493 and 1519 AD. Hussain Shah was the then Governor of Bengal.
It is worth mentioning that Rangamati was a prosperous area once during the reign of the Koch rulers. It was also the frontier post of the Koch rulers. During Mughal regime, Rangamati was a great fort of the invading Mughal army.
Structure of Rangamati MosqueThe mosque was earlier used as a prayer hall by the Mughal Mohammedan soldiers. There is an Idgah and a deep well which is believed to be built during that period. Of late, a township consisting of brick-plinths, terracotta antiques and horde of coins were discovered near this mosque. These are believed to belong to the Mughal regime. The area is also believed by some to be the headquarters of Hussain Shah. The Archaeological Survey of India, Ministry of Culture at present has taken steps to conserve this monument and the preserve the discoveries.
Worship in Rangamati MosquePanbari ‘Pahar’ is known as the holy seat of the Muslims in Assam. The scenic beauty of the places surrounded by hills with its rich flora provides a good view of natural beauty. The archaeological importance, the unique location presents it as an important tourist spot of Assam. It is said that 200 years ago, the local people found this mosque in Panbari ‘Pahar’ under thick foliage. They then cleaned the place and started offering Namaz there.
During Id festivities, the mosque is adorned with beautiful lights and decorations. Many people from different parts of the country visit this mosque. People not only from India but from abroad too have been seen to visit this place. However, due to lack of proper maintenance, this Masjid is losing its essence and glory.